A few nights ago I found myself hungry in the middle of a gaming session. This recipe isn’t going to win any awards. It’s incredibly simple and likely unnecessary to many people who will read it. However it’s also the path I took to making the best oven-baked potatoes that I have ever eaten. It’s also the perfect kind of meal to supplement a night of video games.
- 2 Large Russet Potatoes
- 3 Strips of Thick Cut Bacon
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¾ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dill
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees
- Clean potatoes under cool water, then dry.
- Use a large fork to poke 8-10 holes into each potato
- Place the potatoes in a medium sized mixing bowl, then add olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, sage, and paprika.
- Evenly cover each potato in oil/spices, then place on center oven rack.
- Place a baking sheet on bottom oven rack to catch oil drippings
- Flip potatoes every 20 minutes for 1 hour.
- In a large pan, fry bacon.
- Remove potatoes when skin is crisp
- Use a knife to cut large notches into each potato, then press down with a fork to lightly mash.
- Season with salt/pepper to taste, and add your choice of butter, sour cream, shredded cheese, and chives. Dust with dill powder.
Like I said, it’s about as basic of a recipe as you can get, but potatoes are cheap and the easy prep work makes this the perfect kind of snack/meal to have while gaming. That alone is reason enough to share with our friends here at Games and Grinds.